My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, AZ, United States

Christian, wife, mother, writer, artist, teacher, published author. I love to write Christian fiction and non-fiction.

Monday, August 09, 2004

Confession Time........I was a Liberal

I visited the blog of a young girl from Minnesota. Her name is Jules and she is a Conservative 18 year old going off to college this Fall.

As I read her post in which she explains her views on the War, Pres.Bush vs. Kerry, and other issues...I was amazed at her clear stance.

More and more, it seems, lately I come across young Conservatives who are outspoken about their beliefs. I am thrilled, of course, because they are not shy in defending their world views. It pleases me.

It also takes me back to when I was 18 years old..............

I was also Conservative. President Reagan was MY President. I watched him debate Mondale and defend the right to Life on TV. I wished, oh how I wished, I could have voted for him in 1984. But I was only 16 at the time. Reagan stood for all I believed in: faith, values, military defense of country, defeating EVIL, and the WIll of God for our country....he made me feel so patriotic. I followed him all throughout high school.

As Gloria Steinam once hinted when asked about young women making more conservative choices today, she agreed that most young women are Conservative until they have to go out in the world and get a job. When they see what they are up against in the working world....they will become feminists real quick.

In a way, I agree with her.

I was Conservative until I entered into my 20's. Then I, yes Conservative ArtByRuth, was a Pro-choice, Democrat, Liberal, feminist.

It pains me to even have to write it down here, but I have to in order to make my point. Which is: that many young women will see their 20's as being a struggle, and so they may ultimately take up more Liberal stances on issues facing them. It doesn't mean they have to completely abandon their world view as I did. That only leads to depression, insecurity, and unhappiness.....which is what happened to me.

Compromise....in any form......is usually not a good thing. The Apostle Paul wrote about it in 1 Corinthians 15:33
"Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals."

I alligned myself with people who believed differently than I did when I was in college and, therefore, I began to compromise my principals and my innermost beliefs.

This left me feeling empty and lost. I finally woke up several years later when, thanks to Bill & Hillary Clinton, I realized I no longer identified with what the Liberals were saying and doing. My world view was challenged, and I didn't know how to defend it in my 20's. As I entered my 30's, I learned how to stand by what I believed in.

Everyone has a World View. How do you know what your world view is? Ask yourself and answer these questions:

1. Where did all life come from?

2. What went wrong with the world?

3. What is the solution?


An evolutionist would answer:

1. We evolved from that first creature that emerged from the primordial soup. Or, we evolved from nothing.

2. Human beings have ruined the world with: morality, religion, private ownership of property, sexual repression, democracy, etc.

3. More learning can end the ignorance; technical competence can be the solution; saving the planet from humanity will sove the problem; etc.


Or let's say a Christian answers the questions this way:

1.God created all life.

2. Sin entered into God's creation. Lack of repentance has kept us depraved and from reconciliation to God dooming us to destruction. All of creation is affected by sin.

3. Repentance through Christ reconciles us to God and we are saved by His mercy and grace. All of creation is redeemed.

These are World Views.

Being able to identify one's world view is an important step in maturation. Being able to defend one's world view is a vital step in survival. Compromising one's world view definitely leads to self destruction.....as Paul wrote to the belivers in Corinth.

They were slowly allowing other Gospels to be preached and, therefore, they were compromising Christ's Gospel message. This was leading to their demise.

My advice for the Conservative youth I see in my church and on these blogs is this: learn what your world view is, learn to defend it, then live it....without compromise.

I truly believe that once a young person truly learns what their world view is and if it truly has a solid foundation of truth....then compromise will not be an option.

So, Jules and other Conservatives out there....as you are about to begin your life journey: stay the course, know what you believe, then live it daily.......

Without Compromise!!









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home